SLBC since 1913
Spokane's original lawn bowling club was established in 1913 at Manito Park, but one of he park's natural springs flooded it out every spring. Spokane Lawn Bowling Club was later established in 1976. The first green of the modern era was located at Albi Stadium in the spring of 1978. The current green opened in 1981 behind Witter Aquatic Center on Mission Avenue, across from Avista's headquarters.
Building the current green behind Witter Pool
The Spokane Lawn Bowling Club completed its grass green in mid-September, 1980. It is 75 ft. by 120 ft., or five rinks one way and eight rinks the other. Built to standard specifications, it cost about $9000. Donations from local contractors, help from the Park Department, and volunteer worker from club members cut expenses to a minimum.
Our club's membership doubled this year to the 30-35 men and women.
SLBC received a grant from the Spokane Parks Foundation to help rebuild the decaying backboards. We hope to accomplish the removal of the old boards and the installation of new boards with the help of a crew from Spokane Parks and Recreation Department before the end of the 2023 season.
With deep thanks to